John Adam Swicegood (August 1, 1752 - October 11, 1833) Anna Maria Catherine Beck (February 06, 1764 - August 24, 1852)
John was born on August 1, 1752 in Paradise, York, Pennsylvania. Dates of Johann Adom's birth vary between August 1, August 11, and August 13. According to Christ Evangelical Church records, he was baptized on August 13, 1752. His tombstone in Sandy Creek Cemetery says he was born August 11, 1752. He was the son of Lorantz (Schweisguth) Swicegood and Catherine Elizabeth Meyer both of Nassau, Deggendorf, Bayern, Germany.
John married Anna Maria Catherine Beck in 1779. Anna was the daughter of Johann Philip Beck and Catherine of Davidson, Rowan County, North Carolina. Anna was born on February 06, 1764 in Rowan County, North Carolina.
John Adam was a farmer. He was also Lutheran. He came to North Carolina with his brother Phillip about 1775. Received their first land grants on 25 October, 1784 on the headwaters of Sandy Creek and on the waters of Potts Creek aroung Tyro. He received his land grant #1925 on 18 May 1789 for 500 acres in Salisbury, NC.
Around 1780, Johann Adom Schweissguth and Phillip Schweissguth moved to Rowan County, NC. They traveled by ox-drawn wagons in a train with friends and neighbors from York County, PA. They settled near Tyro Wagon Shops. The two brothers probably went along to help their sisters' families. The four families received many land grants. All are buried in the Sandy Creek Cemetery. Adam first worked at the Tyro Wagon shops repairing wagons. Tyro was located on a major road of the time. Adam was supposed to have fought in the American Revolution, but there is no proof of this. He was also supposed to have fought in local Indian wars in NC. One story tells that Adam had a wooden leg after being wounded in the leg by an arrow. Adam and Catherine were very successful planters. Probably planted both tobacco and cotton. Owned a few slaves; some mentioned by name in Adam's will. Upon Adam's death, the farms were divided among the children. He received his land grant #1925 on 18 May 1789 for 500 acres in Salisbury, NC.
John Adam Swicegood and wife Mary Catherine (Beck) gave land for the first Church building and cemetery, for St. Luke's Lutheran Church, which was known as “Swicegood’s Meeting House” and then “Sandy Creek”. This was about 23 acres of land that joined his. It has moved, but the Cemetery is maintained by the congregation of the Church. St. Luke's Lutheran Church Cemetery, is a historic church cemetery located near Tyro, Davidson County, North Carolina. It contains approximately 300 burials, with the earliest gravestone dated to 1804. It features a unique collection of folk gravestones by local stonecutters erected in Davidson County in the late-18th and first half of the 19th centuries. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984.
John Adams’s Will is recorded in Davidson Co. Will Book 1 page 236. Adam Swicegood.24 Apr.1833. Prob.No. 1883 Wife: Catharine. sons: Philip and Andrew. Daus: Susanna Lookabill, Peggy Leach, Polly Williams, Catharine Young. Exec: Sons Andrew Swicegood and Philip Swicegood. Wit: M.Pinkston and Richmond Swicegood. (Note: Susanna m. John Lookabill; Polly m. William "Billy" Williams and Catherine m. Barney Young.)
John Adam died on October 11, 1833 and Anna died on August 24, 1852. They are buried at Sandy Creek Cemetery, Tyro, Row 8, #7, Davidson County, North Carolina.
John and Catherine’s children:
Catharine Young; b. 1780; m. Barnett Young
The History of the Evangelical Lutheran Synod and Ministerium of North Carolina, 1902 Page 148-149
North Carolina MPS St. Luke's Lutheran Church Cemetery National Archives Identifier:47717665 Creator(s):Department of the Interior. National Park Service. (3/2/1934 - ) (Most Recent) From:File Unit: National Register of Historic Places and National Historic Landmarks Program Records: North Carolina, 1964 - 2013 Series: National Register of Historic Places and National Historic Landmarks Program Records, 2013 - 2017 Record Group 79: Records of the National Park Service, 1785 - 2006 URL: https://catalog.archives.gov/id/47717665
Sources: The History of the Evangelical Lutheran Synod and Ministerium of North Carolina, 1902 Page 148-149 National Register of Historic Places and National Historic Landmarks Program Records: North Carolina, 1964 - 2013 Series: National Register of Historic Places and National Historic Landmarks Program Records, 2013 - 2017 Record Group 79: Records of the National Park Service, 1785 - 2006 URL: https://catalog.archives.gov/id/47717665 Will Book 1 page 236. Adam Swicegood.24 Apr.1833. Prob.No. 1883